MacBook Pro Setup
on May 13, 2020 at 10:52 AM
For the 2020 Summer BootCamp, we will be working remotely. MacBook Pro laptops will be provided to you ahead of time.
When you get your laptop, you will be given admin authority through a user ID named Admin2. This gives you the permissions you need to install the development environment. The password will be given to you at the time you receive your laptop. Please change the password for Admin2 as this is your admin account. Please do not change the password for Admin as this is a general account for SimonComputing to administer the machine.
For security reasons, you should create a user ID for yourself and primarily work out of that account. Operating full time with full admin authority is a security risk. The admin account should be used only when you have to have elevated authority and for the shortest duration possible.
Login as Admin2
When you login to the Admin2 account, you are likely to see the initial setup wizard. If so, do not tie your personal Apple account to the machine, as this downloads all your personal information onto the machine and becomes a privacy issue for you.
We also recommend that you do not setup your "Touch ID" on the Administrator accounts if you have that feature on your laptop.
Create your account by:
- As Admin2, go to Control Panel and select Users & Groups.
- Click on the lock at the bottom right corner and enter the logon information for Admin2.
- Click on the plus sign to add a new account.
- Keep the default of New Account = "Standard".
- Enter your first and last name in the Full Name field.
- Update the Account Name to be in the form: first.last to match your email address.
- Enter your password and click on Create User
- Logout and login with the standard account you just created. You will perform the rest of your setup under that account.
Login to Your Account
On initial startup, it will prompt you to setup an account, you can skip past most of it.
- Select "Don't setup account" and click on "Skip".
- If it prompts you to setup the Touch ID, go ahead and do that now.
You are all set.